What is Magnesium Nitride
What is Magnesium Nitride?
Magnesium nitride, is an inorganic substance with the chemical formula Mg3N2. It belongs to the cluster of cubic crystals. At temperatures at room temperature, pure magnesium Nitride is a greenish yellow powder but magnesium nitride with the magnesium oxide impurities is grayish white.
The Molar mass of magnesium-nitride is 100.95g/mol. The density of the mineral is 2.712g/cm3. Magnesium nitride dissolves completely in water and acid, but is only partially dissolved in both ethanol and ether.
The melting point of magnesium nitride can be found at 1500 degrees. Magnesium nitrideis one of the metal nitrides, reacts with water to form ammonia. Sometimes, it is used as catalyst. React with acid and aqueous nonmetallic oxides that result in ammonium salts as well as magnesium salts.
Magnesium Nitride is a kind of ceramic nature. Magnesium has excellent corrosion resistance and greatly increases productivity. Magnesium nitride also has high thermal conductivity, aswell in high corrosion resistance and temperature resistance. Magnesium Nitride is also of significant significance as it's used as a catalyst used in the chemical synthesis of boron.
What Is Magnesium-Nitride Used For?
1. It is used as a catalyst to create the nitride elements that have high hardness and high thermal conductivity. It also provides wear resistance, corrosion resistance and higher temperature resistance. The first successful chemical synthesis of cubic-boron nitride one catalyst involved was magnesium nitride.
2. The product is designed for use as high strength steel smelting additives. Magnesium Nitride (Mg3N2) is a substitute for desulphurized magnesium used in construction steel smelting, which is beneficial to improve the density, strength in tension and bearing power of steel. In addition, the application of magnesium nitride (Mg3N2) desulfurization, can reduce the amount of other additives, thereby helping to reduce the production cost of construction steel.
3. Useful for preparing special ceramic materials;
4. To make a special alloy foaming agent
5. For the production of special glass
6. Crosslinking of catalytic polymers;
7. To reuse radioactive waste
How do I Make Magnesium Nitride?
The current preparation methods of magnesium nitride comprises direct reaction method for magnesium powder using nitrogen, the method for resolving carbon with nitrogen in nitrogen plasma flow in the form of a magnesium coil explosion in nitrogen atmosphere Chemical gas at low pressure in conjunction with the product method, self-propagating high temperature synthesis process, nano magnesium nitride synthesis method for example.
Recently, G. Soto et al. made amorphous magnesium oxide films that have different Mg:N ratios Si substrates within a molecular-nitrogen environment through Laser pulse deposition. These techniques restrict their production in the industrial sector due to the cost of production, lengthy process and complex operation of equipment or a lower yield of magnesium nitride.
The direct reaction of magnesium powder with nitrogen has industrial value, the production of magnesium nitride requires greater reaction temperatures and a longer reaction time, and the shape of particles is incomplete and easy to form agglomerates, that is not able to meet the needs of industrial grade. In the case of NH3, it can be broken down into N- with broken bonds quicker than N2 and the decomposed H2 can prevent the formation MgO, so ammonia gas is an ideal nitrogen source. Chen Faqin et al. utilized liquid ammonia as a nitrogen source to make magnesium nitride material by direct Nitriding of magnesium powder. The following conclusions could be drawn from thermodynamic analyses, liquid ammonia could react with magnesium powder faster than nitrogen to prepare magnesium nitride. The best quality magnesium nitride that is an extremely high purity and uniform particles can easily be prepared at 600 and ammonia atmosphere for 1 hour. Then, it's heated to 800°C, with an ammonia flow rate of 500ml/min as well as an nitriding duration of 1h.
Magnesium Nitride Mg3N2 Powder Manufacturer
We are a reputable world-wide chemical material provider and manufacturer with more than 12 years of experience in manufacturing high-quality chemicals and nanomaterials, such as silicon powder, nitride powder, graphite powders, zinc sulfur calcium nitride 3D printing powder etc.
If you are looking for high-quality Mg3N2 powder Feel free to contact us and send an inquiry. (firstname.lastname@example.org)